Explore the mountains around Merano and see what they have to offer!
- Monte Ivigna (Ifinger in German) is a striking summit high above Scena and Avelengo, located near Merano. With an altitude of 2,581 m, the granite mountain can be scaled from Falzeben, Avelengo e Scena and every trail boasts a different degree of difficulty.
- The path from Avelengo and Val Sarentino follows slightly beneath the summit and is rather easy, but the last 100 m of altitude are difficult and exposed and therefore only recommended to experienced hikers. Whereas the ascend from Scena is more difficult and proceeds via the exposed south-west chine up to the summit, only considered to those who are sure-footed. On top, you can enjoy a fabulous panoramic view on the Oetztal Alps and the Gruppo di Tessa up to the Dolomites.
- Monte Cervina: at an altitude of 2,781 m, it represents the highest mountain peak of the Sarentino Alps. The tour is of medium difficulty and does not necessarily require special skills. The hike starts at Saltusio near Merano, from where a funicular takes you onto an altitude of 1,980 m. From the tavern Gasthof Klammeben you reach the refuge P.ta Cervina within a quarter only. Proceed on the trail leading from P.ta Cervina to the Giogo Piatto. This section is by the way part of the long distance trail E5. From the Giogo Piatto (2,699 m asl) follow the indications towards Monte Cervina. The ascend to Monte Cervina is not difficult thus overcrowded but once reached the summit you can enjoy a great view on Monte Mutta, Cima Rossa, the Val Venosta, the valley of Merano and also the Dolomites.
- Mutta: is popular hiking destination above Merano and provides a great view on the city and surroundings, Val Venosta and much more. The trail leading up to the summit is rather easy and thus recommended for beginners. From Cima Mutta you can enjoy a great view on Val Venosta, Merano and environs and the surroundings Gruppo di Tessa Nature Park. A hiking suggestion: starting from Tirolo, you reach the mountain station of the Hochmuth funicular at 1,423 m asl. From this point you walk to the tavern Gasthof Mutkopf via path n°22. Proceed on a narrow ridge on path n°23 up to Cima Mutta summit.
- Cigot: The Cigot is almost 3,000 m high and a well-frequented destination for those who love mountaineering. Towards south the Cigot falls away sharply to Parcines and Lagundo, in the north east there are the famous Lakes of Sopranes. Starting point is the tavern Gasthaus Birkenwald in Parcines. From there, the trail n°8 takes you to the Rif. Cima Fiammante in about 4 hours. Behind the mountain hut, the trail n°7 starts, taking you to the Lakes of Tablà (2,677 m asl) and further on to the Passo Rodella (2,808 m asl). From here a rocky terrain, reaching the north west ridge and to a striking rock, leads you further across a coloir. Before you reach the summit, you need to overcome a secured passage. From the Rif. Lodner to the summit, you have to schedule about 3 hours. Once reached the top, you can enjoy a breathtaking view on the Val Venosta and the surroundings of Merano, impressive above all with good weather. We recommend appropriate mountain equipment, helmet, climbing belt and a self-belay device.